We featured Civil Engineer Milly Hennayake and her work with Engineers Without Borders UK in 2019. Earlier this year we took some time out with Milly to discuss her route into Engineering.
Civil Engineer Milly Hennayake first got involved with Engineers Without Borders UK at university.
After working as a volunteer with them in the UK, she was sent out as a volunteer engineer to Nairobi to work with KDI, a Kenyan design and community non-profit working on innovative water management and sanitation projects in Kibera, one of the most densely populated slums in Africa.
Engineers without Borders UK are on a mission to focus the attention of engineers on making the world a better place. They’ve supported partners throughout Africa, Asia and Latin America to increase access to clean water, improved sanitation facilities, reliable energy sources and resilient built environments.
Milly Hennayake studied Civil Engineering at Cambridge University. She has worked with Engineers Without Borders to inspire train and support university engineers across the country to partner with international NGOs. She’s worked in Sierra Leone, Brazil, DRC and Kenya on development and engineering projects.
Find out more about the different career paths you might take in our “The Different Types Of Engineering (And Their Career Paths) Explained” Guide.
Born to Engineer – Simple solutions for a cleaner, better world
Milly Hennayake knows that simple engineering solutions can make a huge difference to the lives of others, building a cleaner, better world for all.
More Routes Into Engineering Stories
- Route Into Engineering – Faye Banks – Electrical Transmission Engineer
- Route Into Engineering – Yusuf Muhammad – Engineer And Designer
- Route Into Engineering – Adrian Westaway – Design Engineer
- Route Into Engineering – Orla Murphy – Jaguar Land Rover
- Route Into Engineering – Mathew Holloway – Innovation Design Engineer
- Route Into Engineering – Nina Parsons
- Route Into Engineering – Milly Hennayake
- Route Into Engineering – Ebony Allison Career
- Route Into Engineering – Professor Eleanor Stride
- Route Into Engineering – John Wheal
- Route Into Engineering – Minal Patel Career