We featured Systems Engineer John Wheal in one of our first Born to Engineer videos.
John is a systems engineer with NATS, the UK’s leading supplier of air traffic control services.
He’s part of a team designing and building the next generation of air traffic control systems. And when those systems are the basis for the safety of 250 million air passengers every year, it’s vital that John and the team get it right.
John Wheal studied Computer Engineering at the University of Portsmouth. He won the Institution of Engineering and Technology’s 2017 Technician of the Year Award.
We caught up with John to discuss his personal journey into Engineering.
Find out more about the different career paths you might take in our “The Different Types Of Engineering (And Their Career Paths) Explained” Guide.
Born to Engineer – Systems Engineer John Wheal
Learn more about the innovations and creative projects engineers are involved in by watching our “Were You Born to Engineer?” videos.
It does not matter what your interests and passions are, from sport to healthcare – there is an exciting and rewarding role for you in Engineering.
More Routes Into Engineering Stories
- Route Into Engineering – Faye Banks – Electrical Transmission Engineer
- Route Into Engineering – Yusuf Muhammad – Engineer And Designer
- Route Into Engineering – Adrian Westaway – Design Engineer
- Route Into Engineering – Orla Murphy – Jaguar Land Rover
- Route Into Engineering – Mathew Holloway – Innovation Design Engineer
- Route Into Engineering – Nina Parsons
- Route Into Engineering – Milly Hennayake
- Route Into Engineering – Ebony Allison Career
- Route Into Engineering – Professor Eleanor Stride
- Route Into Engineering – John Wheal
- Route Into Engineering – Minal Patel Career