In the lead up to 2017 we are looking back at the last year. Taking some time to look at our most popular topics and to look at what stories have had the largest impact on Engineering
The Born to Engineers Top Engineering Breakthrough 2016
What do we think was the biggest breakthrough of 2016? It has to be the big leap forward in the use of CRISPR which has made Genetic Engineering a medical reality.
Between a new CRISPR system (which can switch single letters of the genome cleanly and efficiently beginning developed at Harvard) and the USA unanimously approving the use of CRISPR in humans CRISPR looks set to completely revolutionise how we approach medicine in medium-term, and what it constitutes to be human in the long term.
Watch Kurzgesagt In a Nutshell explain how “Genetic Engineering Will Change Everything Forever”
Look back at some of our CRISPR posts this year.
- New CRISPR system could reliably repair many disease-causing mutations
- US unanimously approves CRISPR in humans
- 2016 Top Engineering Story: CRISPR
- CRISPR technology used to develop Tuberculosis-resistant cows
- Could The First CRISPR Clinical Trial Could Begin in 2018?
- New CRISPR Technique Repairs Genetic Mutations in Human Embryos
- Japan issues draft guidelines for gene editing human embryos
If you enjoyed this article subscribe to our mailing list to receive weekly updates!
Want to keep up to date with our latest stories?
For updates, you can subscribe to our weekly newsletter for updates or follow us on social media. If you have any suggestions for content or feedback we would love to hear from you.