2016 saw Stapleford Miniature Railway in Leicestershire host 8 teams for the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Railway Challenge. The competition tested the team across 10 different challenges.
The competition, which took place 2-3rd July, is made up of 10 track based and presentation challenges. However, 2016 is the first year that a new ‘Innovation Challenge’ has been run which asks competitors to submit an academic paper on the innovations of their locomotive.
Watch last years introduction to the IMechE Railway Challenge
The trains must work on Stapleford’s 10¼” gauge railway line, and each train must be able to pull a 600kg load (which includes one of Challenges judges)
The results in full
- SNC-Lavalin (1,291 points)
- TfL (789 points)
- University of Southampton (680 points)
- Bombardier & University of Derby (606 points)
- University of Huddersfield (283 points)
- WMG, University of Warwick (256 points)
- University of Sheffield (221 points)
- University of Birmingham (107 points)
Supplying the 21s Century Railway
If you are interested in learning more about the work of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, or Britain’s railways we highly recommend Terence Watson, of the Rail Supply Group, iMechE lecture on “Supplying the 21st Century Railway”.