‘The Plank’ (aka Hastings Pier, the start wooden pier created by de Rijke Marsh Morgan) has won this year’s RIBA Stirling Prize
The pier uses timber reclaimed from previous fires and has been praised for changing ‘the idea of what architecture is’
It took seven years to transform the smouldering remains of Hastings pier into a new vibrant public space.
The project represents a fantastic modern example of how the community, Council, a team of engineers and architect can collaborate to create something truly special.
The pier forms a centrepiece to the town; acting as a strong, community-led/owned platform to accommodate a whole host of uses; from concerts to international markets.
- Contractor Hastings Pier Charity
- Structural Engineer Ramboll UK
- Environmental / M&E Engineer Ramboll UK
- Quantity Surveyor / Cost Consultant PT Projects
- Marine Engineers Ramboll UK
- Internal area 11,720.00 m²