University technical colleges (UTCs) are government-funded schools for 14–18 year olds. They teach students technical and scientific subjects in a whole new way and are educating the inventors, engineers, scientists and technicians of tomorrow.
UTCs integrate technical, practical and academic learning and create an environment where students can thrive and develop the abilities that industry needs. To do this, a UTC:
- focuses on one or two technical specialisms
- works with employers and a local university to develop and deliver their curriculum
- provides essential academic education and relates this to the technical specialisms
- has the latest equipment and technology used by industry
- dedicates at least 40% of time to the technical specialism including design and building, working in teams and problem solving.
Details of current UTCs can be found here